PermanentJob Vacancy for General Manager Refinery Wanted
Job Vacancy for General Manager Refinery Wanted
Job Type: Permanent
Company/Employer: Tongaat Hulett Sugar
Job Title: Job Vacancy for General Manager Refinery Wanted
Tongaat Hulett has a proud 126-year history and a strong socio-economic legacy in KwaZulu-Natal province, in South Africa, and into sub-Saharan Africa. Technical operations include the following: –
Three Sugar Manufacturing mills situated on along the North Coast of Kwa Zulu Natal stretching from Tongaat through to Empangeni.
A Sugar Refining Operation based in South Coast Road Durban
An animal feeds manufacturing plant situated in Tongaat alongside the Maidstone Sugar Mill.
A technical operations support comprising technical specialists who provide high level support to the operations both in South Africa and foreign operations.
The company’s current priority is to improve the overall business performance in the medium to longer term and our objectives are to operate strategically, sustainably, efficiently and profitably. Tongaat Hulett’s focus is on re-energising assets that will be cash-generative and exploring new customer segments.
Going forward the company is focussed on leveraging our value chain, and creating a platform for long-term growth, while maintaining strong relationships with our key stakeholders.
Purpose of the Role
- Responsibility for the full operational and strategic functioning of the Refinery. This will include aligning the strategic direction of the operations with the Tongaat Hulett strategy. Responsibility includes ongoing interaction with key stakeholders, and the financial and operational performance of the Refinery. Responsible for SHE & Risk & Quality.
- Financial – Opex budget of R400m. Capex budget of R100m (variable)
- Staff complement of approximately 400 employees
- c) Leadership :
- People Management – Manages, motivates and rewards people to optimise their outputs and potential to achieve business goals. Ensures effective performance of employees and business unit through setting and communicating performance goals and standards (aligned to relevant levels) and holds people accountable.
- Stakeholder relationships – builds and maintains effective relationships and networks with people within and outside the business.
- Communication – communicates effectively and shares information and knowledge using appropriate channels and technology to both individuals and groups.
- Align and implement strategy, goals and direction in support of the broader Tongaat Hulett business plans for the sugar refinery.
- Drive the achievement of results both in the areas of production targets and business costs (cost per ton) and sustainability.
- Manage the day to day running of the refinery, ensuring the optimisation of the organisation design, technologies, capital and raw materials. Lead and direct the management team towards achieving the operational and business objectives.
- Optimisation of refinery capacity must be managed accordingly, in line with targets set.
- Establish and maintain a high-quality asset care policy and related processes.
- Responsible for the overall supply chain management function of the refinery. This includes in-bound and out-bound logistics and the management of logistics service providers.
- Implement appropriate community development programmes for the community in which the refinery operates, as part of the operational strategy.
- Lead and manage the various functional units such as Production, Engineering, SHE, HR and Finance, and ensure an integrated team culture. Ensure cross functional team effectiveness and drive the effective functioning of the different teams across the various functions.
- Provide clear directions on strategic goals, translating and prioritizing them into business and performance measures for the division.
- Lead, inspire and coach a team of high calibre professionals, creating succession to key roles and enhancing management capability.
- Monitor the adherence to governance and setting high standards of professionalism across the functions.
- Ensure that managers create effective workforce plans and recruitment demand plans for their areas.
- Review People and Performance Management plans to determine effectiveness.
- Manage the financial performance and ensure adherence to company standards, policies, and governance structures. Effective cost and capital expenditure management are key business drivers.
- Effective management of all stakeholders, both internal and external, particularly local government and communities.
- Focus on and support the skills development function. This will include the attraction, retention and development of talent, within the context of a TH wide initiatives to build a strong technical and operational skills pipeline.
- Drive the Safety, Health and Environmental Management requirements. Ensure the development and implementation of SHE strategies, programmes and systems for the operation, and provide support and leadership to the operational SHE Manager. Ensure the upliftment of current SHE programmes, with particular emphasis on issues related to employee health and wellbeing.
- Ensure integration with commercial end of the business to ensure that it is meeting various market demands in terms of forecast.
- Qualifications and Experience required
- 10+ years’ experience including experience in the sugar industry.
- Advantageous to have sugar milling and refining experience.
- Operational Excellence – continuously examines business processes for opportunities to improve operations, productivity and performance gains.
- Business and Financial acumen – understands industry and business trends, business models, challenges, opportunities and processes and how they impact on financial, customer, people and business performance and results.
- Barriers to Success in Role
- Inability to lead teams and build relationships across cultures
- Inability to manage through and across the organisation matrix
- Inability to connect and build positive relationships with all stakeholders
- Inability to adapt to a changing environment
- Inability to partner with production and commercial
64 total views, 1 today